~~~ The history of JEWETT LUMBER and how 4 generations of Jewetts helped build Des Moines. 1:00 pm, Saturday, MAY 12th at the Franklin Library. ~~~ Gerald “Jerry” A. Jewett, Jr. is the fourth generation of the Jewett Lumber family in Des Moines, beginning with David Jewett who came to Des Moines in 1843. He will demonstrate his storytelling skills as he entertains and amuses us in the family history, business history of the time and the characters in Des Moines during the generations of his family’s lumber business, Jewett Lumber.
Jerry and his daughter, Jennifer Dilley compiled stories in a book that spans the company history beginning in 1879. Entitled, “Here’s To It”, the last of an initial order of five hundred copies will be available for signing. Come and enjoy the fun afternoon of stories of early Des Moines. This lecture is free and open to the public. This DM Historical Society event made the Lake Panorama Times (good article). http://www.lakepanoramatimes.com/news/father-daughter-team-create-his-memoir
~~~ RESCHEDULED TO MONDAY, APRIL 23 @ 6:30, Franklin Av. Library (Was Cancelled Feb. 20 due to the weather.)
RE-LIVING DING DARLINGS' COLORFUL LIFE The DMHS is pleased to welcome actor Tom Milligan on Monday, April 23, 2018 at 6:30 p.m. at the Franklin Av. Library as he portrays the Des Moines Register’s Pulitzer Prize-winning editorial cartoonist Ding Darling in the one-act play, “The Art of Conservation: A Visit with Ding Darling.” Mr. Milligan has also depicted Henry A. Wallace and Grant Wood.
The DMHS is pleased to welcome Tom Milligan on Monday, April 23 at 6:30 p.m. at the Franklin Av. Library as he portrays the Des Moines Register’s Pulitzer Prize-winning editorial cartoonist Ding Darling in the one-act play, “The Art of Conservation: A Visit with Ding Darling.” Mr. Milligan has also depicted Henry A. Wallace and Grant Wood.
Tom Milligan has spent 45 years as a working theater artist in Iowa. As an actor, director, scenic designer as well as producer, his work has been seen throughout Iowa and the Midwest. Beginning in 1973, many remember his work at Iowa’s first dinner theater, Charlie’s Showplace, in Des Moines. Over the years he has been on staff at The Des Moines Playhouse, The Ingersoll Dinner Theater, The Drake Opera, Hoyt Sherman Theater, The Drama Workshop and many other venues in the Des Moines area. In 2005 he moved to The Amana Colonies, working on multiple productions at The Old Creamery Theater, The Iowa Theater Artists Company, as well as many self-produced productions. His 16-year association with Humanities Iowa reflects his passion for both theater and history through his unique one man play presentations.
The Art of Conservation: A Visit with Ding Darling --- In this 45-minute presentation, Jay N. “Ding” Darling visits with the audience, as an old friend, in his 11th office at The Des Moines Register. Beginning with his early years in Sioux City where as a young boy where he became aware of the natural world around him while developing skills as an editorial cartoonist, he recalls his remarkable life journey. His story continues to include two Pulitzer Prize-winning editorial cartoons for the Register and a remarkable career as a nationally known conservationist. From the introduction of The Duck Stamp to the creation of the National Wildlife Federation, Darling’s influence was felt not only through his cartoons but his actions as well. Considered by many to be one of the most important members of the modern conservation movement in the first half of the 20th century, the impact of his work is still felt today.
Long time DM actor, Tom Milligan, gives his impression and history of the 2 time Pulitzer Prize winner Jay Norwood "Ding" Darling. The DMHS will host a program on one of Des Moines' most famous artists and conservationists. "How Rich Will We Be When We Have Converted All Our Forests, All Our Soil, All Our Water Resources and Minerals to Cash?" (Editorial Cartoon Above) Darling is very well-known for his 'cartoons' relating to World War 1, so this coordinates with the Remembrance of the 100th Anniversary of the U.S. entering the war and the soldiers, such as Merle Hay, whose names are a large part of Des Moines; he also drew a cartoon about the streetcars going out to Urbandale. This website has some background information about Jay N. 'Ding'Darling - http://santivachronicle.com/Content/Latest-News-/Latest-News/Article/J-N-Ding-Darling-The-Cartoonist-Conservationist/19/18/124
~~~ MONDAY, APRIL 9 @ 6:30 p.m., Franklin Avenue Library. ELAINE ESTES, Longtime Des Moines Library Director, from 1978 - 1995, brings us the history of the DM library system which began as the Des Moines Library Association in 1866 in the basement of a Methodist Church.
Elaine Rose Graham Estes, American librarian and a winner of many civic AWARDS, including Young Women’s Christian Association, 1975, Distinguished Alumni award Drake U., 1979, Woman of Achievement award YWCA, 1989, City of Des Moines Excellence in History Preservation award, 1994, Connect Foundation Contribution to Cmty. award, 1995.
EDUCATION - Bachelor of Business Administration, Drake University, 1953. Teaching certified, Drake University, 1956. Medical Science Liaison Society, University Illinois, 1960.
CAREER - With the DM Public Library from Des Moines, 1956-1995, coordinator extension services, 1977-1978, director, 1978-1995, retired, 1995. Lecturer antiques, history architecture, libraries. Member conservation planning committee for disaster preparedness for libraries. Advisor National Trust Historic Presentation, Iowa, 1980-1990. Director Iowa Center Book, 1987-1995. Delegate White House Conference Library & Information Service, Iowa, 1989. Member Iowa Questers Committee Textiles & Clothing Collection for Iowa State University, 2007-2010. Author bibliographies of books on antiques. Contributor articles to professional journals.
MEMBERSHIPS - State of Iowa Cultural Affairs Advisory Council, 1986—1994, National Commission on Future of Drake University, 1987—1988. Chairman Des Moines Mayor's History District Commission. Nominations review committee Iowa State National History Register, 1983—1989. Chairman history subcommittee Des Moines Sesquicentennial Committee, 1993, Iowa Sister State Commission, 1993—1995. Committee 40th Anniversary Drake University Alumni Weekend, 50 Year Drake Alumni Weekend, 2003. July 4 committee Iowa Sesquicentennial. National exchange director Friendship Force, 1997. National advisory board Cowles Library, since 1998. Governor's Iowa Centennial Memorial Foundation, since 2003. Acquisition committee Salisbury House, 2003. Cultural center task force African American History Museum, 1999—2003. Iowa author committee Public Library. Des Moines Foundation, 2001—2007. Terrace Hill Commission, since 2001. Board directors Des Moines Art Center, 1972—1983, honorary member, since 1983. Board directors Friends of Library. United States of America, 1986—1992, Henry Wallace House Foundation, Iowa Library. Centennial Committee, 1990—1991, Wagner Hall Preservation Project, since 2004. American Library Association (30th Anniversary Honor Roll for Intellectual Freedom 1999), Iowa Society Preservation History Landmarks (board directors 1969-1997), Library. Association Greater Des Moines Metro Area (chairman 1992, president), Iowa Urban Public Library. Association, Iowa Library. Association (life; 1978-1979), Iowa Antique Association, Terrace Hill (Governor's Mansion) Society (board directors since 1972, vice president 1991-1993, president 1993-1996), Links Inc. (40th annual committee 1997, 5th curatorial committee member since 1997), Drake University 50 Year Club, Questers Inc. Club (president 1982, state Second vice president 1984-1986, 1st vice president 1990—2000, president 1997, state president 2000-2003, president 2001-2003, Questers Preservation chair 2005-2007), Rotary (history committee 2001-2006), Proteus Club (president 2003-2004).
She married John Melvin Estes, December 29, 1953 and was born November 24, 1931 in Springfield, Missouri, United States
~~~ TUESDAY, MARCH 20, 6:30 p.m., Franklin Av. Library - YOUNKERS family and Business - Presented by VICKI INGHAM - author of the book 'Younkers, the Friendly Store.'
When shoppers went to Younkers, they experienced something magical. Celebrities signed autographs, chefs gave cooking demonstrations and Miss Universe discussed the latest styles in swimwear. The flagship store, a showplace in the heart of downtown Des Moines, boasted dazzling selling spaces equipped with the first escalator and air conditioner in the state. The Tea Room established a legendary reputation for its food, fashion shows and Theater Nights. A great place to work, it gave thousands of teens their first paychecks and afforded hundreds of associates a lifelong career. Join Vicki Ingham for Younkers' journey to become one of the most important department store chains in the Midwest.
~~~ SATURDAY, JANUARY 27, 2018 @ 11:00 a.m. at Edencrest - THE HISTORY OF BEAVERDALE POWERPOIONT will be presented BY PAT MEINERS and the DMHS ANNUAL MEETING (with elections & annual report). Lunch is available off the menu at Edencrest for $8. Please RSVP ASAP by email to firstname.lastname@example.org . THANKS! The location for the program about the History of Beaverdale on Saturday, January 27, 11:00 a.m. was changed to Edencrest Retirement Communhity at Beaverdale (not Christopher's), just to the south of Boesen's Florist, at 3410 Beaver.
~~~WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 6, 2017 @ 6:30 p.m. - "Ever Admired. Never Acquired."
Scott Valbert, Communications Officer for Bankers Trust, will provide the 100 year timeline of Bankers Trust's proud banking history in Des Moines. This is a truly exceptional history in banking. DMHS members may enter the Ruan Center at 666 Grand Avenue through the 7th Street or Grand Av. doors. There will be signage directing us to the meeting room. If you are not a current dues paying DMHS member, you may join online through this website or at the door. *
~~~SATURDAY, DECEMBER 9, 2017 @ 9:00 - A meeting will be held at the Fort Des Moines III Museum on Army Post Road to discuss the future of this museum and what can be done to keep it open.
~~~ THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 30, 2017 - 6:30 - 7:30 - DMHS MEMBERS ONLY
DMHS members have been graciously invited to tour this beautiful 1907 house owned by the family of another DMHS member. The home will be part of the Holly and Ivy Tour for the three days following this DMHS tour, but there is no charge for this tour to DMHS members. 338 - 29th Street, in the Owl's Head Neighborhood. When built, this home was owned by the brother of the owner of the home next door at 330 - 29th Street; a family that owned a well-known business in town. RSVP PLEASE using the contact box on the MAIN page. If you are not a DMHS member, please join by November 25 to attend this event and RSVP on the MAIN page.
~~~ THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 2, 2017 - 6:30 pm, Jack Lufkin, State Historian, will provide a tour and information on the early history of the FORT DES MOINES III ARMY BASE.
It will be in the Ft. Des Moines Museum 75 E. Army Post Rd. (on the Army post grounds). This is one of the historical landmarks that put Des Moines, Iowa on the map.
In 1901, this Army base was established as training grounds for the U.S. Calvary. In 1917, an Officer Candidate Class was established as it became an Army Officer Training School for African Americans to become U.S. Army officers during World War I. In 1942 it became recognized where women first began training for the U.S. Women’s Army Corps.
Declared a National Historic Landmark, this Museum is loaded with facts and artifacts. This Army Base has had many other uses. The Fort property was turned over to the city in the 1950s. Part of the property is under development by the city. There is no charge for this educational opportunity, it is open to the general public.
October 14, 2017 @ 1:00 p.m. at the Iowa Genealogical Society, 628 E. Grand several authors about the history of Des Moines will talk about their books or CD.
The Des Moines Historical Society proudly showcases Des Moines historians. Invited authors and a CD producer are; Honest Parker, Ken Boatwright, Earl Short, Mark Heggen, Sarah Oltrogge, Karla Wright, Bill Hendrickson, Shauna Humrich, Vicki Ingram, and Jan Fleming. Come enjoy a brief synopsis of their work and take advantage of this time to purchase one or several items for yourself or as gifts. This free event is open to the general public. If you know of other authors or CD producers on Des Moines related topics who should be invited please contact Jerry Tormey at 515-360-1452.
SEPTEMBER 9, 2017 FROM 1 to 3 p.m. (Sat.) - WOODLAND CEMETERY TOUR - Archie Cook will lead a 2-hour tour through Woodland Cemetery. It is rather physical, climbing hills and walking; so you may want to bring a chair for an occasional rest. Please help him out, he needs those that will attend to register by emailing him at email@example.com or calling him at 515-266-1627.
THE NEXT DAY - SEPTEMBER 10, 2017 (Sun.) - 1:00 p.m. AUTO ROW & AUTO HISTORY IN DES MOINES - Steve Stimmel, Historic Preservation Architect & DMHS Board member will make a presentation at the Central Library at 1:00 p.m. in the Pioneer Hybrid Mtg. Room B regarding the Des Moines Auto Row & Auto history.
ALSO SEPT 10. - 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. - Concours D'Elegance
The DMHS tent will be on 13th Street near Locust and the Proof Restaurant. The Concours is around the sculpture park and open to the public at no charge. The DMHS will have information about the Des Moines Auto Row and a 1977 Camaro owned by DMHS member Jim Kirk on display on 13th Street from 10 - 4. This is the 50th anniversary of Camaros and Firebirds.
EARLY HISTORY OF THE DES MOINES RIVER - TUESDAY, AUGUST 22, 6:30 p.m.
by John Wenck, the Water Coordinator for the Iowa Department of Natural Resources.
When: Tuesday, August 22 at 6:30 PM
Where: The Ding Darling Shelter House Park
2100 Saylor Road, Des Moines, Iowa - on Birdland Lagoon, just below Union Park
August 22, 2017 at 6:30 p.m. the Des Moines Historical Society is fortunate to host a lecture by John Wenck, the Water Coordinator for the Iowa Department of Natural Resources. This event will be held at the Ding Darling Shelter House.
Mr. Wenck will talk about Tacitus Hussey, a pioneer and writer who lived from 1832 to 1919. Hussey was a "riverman" and wrote volumes on the history of the river; what it was like and how it was useful in the Victorian Era and many river happenings.
This will be a very entertaining lecture with a valuable power point including many unique photographs.
THIS IS A MEMBERS ONLY EVENT, but you may join in advance online or at the door. See you then!
UNION PARK HOMES TOUR - Saturday, July 15th, 2017 at 10 am
See some of the hidden architectural features showing up in early Des Moines – as you walk through 4 homes built during the 1912 to 1921 timeframe. When hardwood floors and trim-work were standard – and each home had its own special touches that made it different.
While not as fancy as the prior Victorians – these bungalows' tended to lean more towards the Craftsman style – with no two being the same. Porches were still a must – but some of them became enclosed parts of the home – while others were meant to be open to the fresh air.
Come see these restored homes in the Union Park Neighborhood and learn about their forgotten history. Also, find about who lived in these homes and how those same people might have helped shape Des Moines 100 years ago.
The meeting spot for tickets is the gazebo in Union Park, near E. 9th and Mattern. This is open to members of the Des Moines Historical Society. You can join at the gazebo – if you are not a member already. Looking forward to seeing some friendly faces and showing you some Union Park Neighborhood history.
Mentzer Family Optical History - Tuesday, June 20th at 6:30 PM - 8 PM at Franklin Avenue Library located at 5000 Franklin Ave.
The Mentzer Family has been one of the longest optical business histories in Des Moines. Russ Mentzer began his optical career in 1951. His family members have carried the business forward. Join us June 20th at 6:30 pm in the Franklin Avenue Library meeting room, 5000 Franklin Avenue to hear about their long standing tradition and the secret to their success.
Urbandale Centennial Celebration Historical Lecture and Power Point
Thursday, June 22 at 1:30 PM - Urbandale Public Library 3520 86th St.
The City of Urbandale is celebrating their Centennial Celebration 1917-2017 all year. In honor of that event, the Urbandale Historical Society and Virginia Gee have invited our good friend Earl Short to present a power point history on the impact of the Trolley in Urbandale's development. The event will be held at the Urbandale Library, (3520-86th St.) June 22, 2017 at 1:30 pm
River Bend Neighborhood History - May 16th, 2017, Trinity United Methodist Church
By Jon Royal - The Des Moines Historical Society, collaborating with Trinity Las Americas United Methodist Church and the River Bend Neighborhood Association, will host an evening discussion with neighborhood leader and lifelong River Bend Neighborhood resident, Jon Royal. This informative program will be held 6:30 PM Tuesday, May 16th at Trinity Las Americas United Methodist Church (1548-8th St.).
Jon is a lifelong resident of the Des Moines area who grew up in and currently lives in the family home at 1830- 8th Street. His home was built by his great grandparents in 1887 and has been in his family ever since. His family were founding members of Trinity Las Americas United Methodist Church and his parents were instrumental in the development of the River Bend Neighborhood Association. Jon currently serves on the River Bend Neighborhood Association Board.
Jon will share some of the history of the River Bend area from his 69 year history of being associated with it, as well as, offer a tour of the church and information on the restoration over the years. He will talk about the origins of the neighborhood development, his experiences growing up in the neighborhood, what is currently going on and some of the future plans.
This is free and open to the general public. Plan on joining us and invite your friends for this information loaded lecture.
The Des Moines Streetcar Era by Earl Short - April 8th, 1p.m., Franklin Avenue Library
The Des Moines Historical Society in co-sponsorship with the Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority (DART) will host an event on the early history of Mass Transit in Des Moines. This scheduled event should not be missed by those who love the history of Des Moines and have experienced the enjoyment and value of public transportation in Des Moines. At 1:00 pm, Saturday, April 8th at the Franklin Avenue Library (5000 Franklin Ave. DM), Earl Short, a Des Moines historian, will give an overview of the history of the trolley car and the identified routes in Des Moines. During this one and a half hour presentation Earl will offer a power point presentation that will show the basics on what is a Trolley and a chart showing the time frame, along with pictures from several of the streetcar lines around the DM area. Many of the photographs he offers are the "then & now" type photos showing what the old picture looks like today. Earl Short has an extensive collection of photos that focus primarily on the multiple streetcar routes of Des Moines which includes many rare photos of our fair city. This glimpse of the early transportation history of Des Moines will offer a sense of pride for staff and passengers and historians as we transform to the modern form of transportation we now appreciate.
We have invited DART to collaborate with us on this presentation. Timothy Sanderson, Chief Operating Officer of DART will be on hand to offer us some insight and comparison to what mass transportation is like in Des Moines today.
Governor Herring Presentation
Tuesday, March 7th - Franklin Library - Presentation by Victoria Herring
The public is invited to a Des Moines Historical Society lecture by Victoria Herring at 6:30 p.m. March 7 at the Franklin Library, 5000 Franklin Avenue. It will focus on Clyde L. Herring, the founder of Herring Motor Co., who manufactured Ford Model T cars in Des Moines. In 1908 Herring entered the automobile business in Atlantic, Iowa. As a result of his earlier acquaintance with Henry Ford, Herring received a free car and the right to own the Ford dealerships for all of Iowa in 1910. As president of the Herring Motor Company, and later the Herring-Wissler Company in Council Bluffs and Des Moines, he became wealthy. In 1915 his dealership sold and delivered more automobiles than any other automobile agency in the United States. He was a friend and confidant of Henry Ford as well as an Iowa governor (1933 to 1937) and a U.S. senator.
Clyde LaVerne Herring, a Senator from Iowa; born in Jackson, Jackson County, Mich., May 3, 1879; attended the public schools; moved to Detroit, Mich., in 1897; served as a private in Company D, Third Michigan Regiment, in the Spanish-American War; moved to Colorado Springs, Colo., and engaged in ranching 1902-1906; moved to Massena, Iowa, and engaged in agricultural pursuits 1906-1908; entered the automobile business in Atlantic, Iowa, 1908-1910; moved to Des Moines, Iowa, in 1910 and continued in the automobile business; during the First World War served with the Iowa National Guard on the Mexican border; unsuccessful candidate for Governor of Iowa in 1920; unsuccessful candidate for election to the United States Senate in 1922; member of the Democratic National Committee of Iowa 1924-1928; Governor of Iowa 1933-1937; elected as a Democrat to the United States Senate for the term beginning January 3, 1937, but did not qualify until the expiration of his term as Governor, and served from January 15, 1937, to January 3, 1943; unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1942; senior assistant administrator in the Office of Price Administration 1943; resumed the automobile business in Des Moines, Iowa; died in Washington, D.C., September 15, 1945; interment in Glendale Cemetery, Des Moines, Iowa.
History of Iowa Capitol Building - Saturday February 25th, 10:00 am –
State of Iowa Capitol Building (Enter at the south door and someone will direct you). Joan Arndt, who fascinated us with interesting facts and tour last year, will give us more history about the Capitol,… that sometimes we take for granted. MEMBERS ONLY EVENT
Did you know that we have one of the recognized most beautiful Capitol Buildings in the Unitesd States? It is also the only one with five domes. How did it come to be, and of all places, how was the location chosen? Come and hear one of the state capitol historians, Joan Arndt, share entertaining stories of the early beginnings of probably the most imposing structures in our fair city. (Enter under the south steps of the Capitol and security will direct you.) This is a Members Only event. You may join on-line at our web site, or join at the door.
Come learn about us and how you can get involved with the DMHS, Saturday, February 11, 11-1P.M., 1701 Pennsylvania Ave, Des Moines, Iowa 50313
Come see a cool old house, have some goodies and learn more about The Des Moines Historical Society. Learn about how you can get involved with our fun active group. We have 12 plus events during the year and would love some help in many different areas - from like minded people .... please RSVP
History of Younkers: More Than a Store - February 22nd, 12:00pm to 1:00pm
Presented by the Central Public Library 1000 Grand Avenue.
For many Iowans, a trip to Younkers was more than just a wonderful shopping experience, it was an event. With tea rooms, fashion shows, and theater nights, Younkers became a destination. Vicki Ingham, author of Younkers: The Friendly Store, will share how the business became an Iowa institution. Join us for a fascinating presentation and refreshments.
Annual Meeting at the famous West End Architectural Salvage & Coffee Shop!
January 28th 11am to 1pm at 22 9th St., Des Moines, IA 50309
About: West End has everything from furniture to stained glass to doors to tin panels. These one-of-a-kind items are organized by category throughout the four floors of the West End building. This makes it possible for you to find what you want in a minimal amount of time.
About the show: West End Salvage follows Don Short and his crack team of pickers, carpenters and designers as they find and create amazing one-of-a-kind pieces out of salvaged treasures. Whether they're prying unusual details off the sides of old buildings or competing with quirky Midwest pickers for the ultimate find, they take their haul back to Don's 50,000-square-foot warehouse in downtown Des Moines to spin gold out of straw. In the end, whether it's a lamp made from a bakery whisk or a bench fashioned from a pig trough, these items will ultimately become the centerpieces of stunning room makeovers for customers in the know.
Below are links to see more awesome projects from West End!
Tour of the Des Moines Playhouse, Monday, January 9th, 2017, 7:00 p.m. –
Des Moines Community Playhouse, 831 42nd Street (just North of I-235 on 42nd). Tour of the Playhouse and history given by John Viars, Executive Director of the Playhouse. MEMBERS ONLY EVENT
History of Highland Park, Wednesday, December 14th, 2016, 6:00 pm –
North Side D.M. Public Library, 3516 Fifth Avenue (on the south side of Euclid Avenue). Lisa Elm will present the history of Highland Park. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
Saturday, March 19th, 2016 at 1:00pm Whittier Elementary School - East 14th and Washington - The Des Moines Historical Society is offering a Members Only Tour. You may join on our website or at the door.
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to own a school? Whittier School building is up for sale. Come and tour the old former school building. We will receive a personal tour provided by the current owner. Check out the architecture of the time and the beautiful use of wood throughout.
Iowa Architectural Foundation 2016 Lectures
Thursday, April 28th– 6:30 PM – DES MOINES ART CENTER
Join IAF at the Des Moines Art Center for the unique opportunity to see the works of three renowned, 20th century architects at one location. The Talk & Tour is sponsored in partnership with the Art Center and museum docents will host a tour of the building and discuss the history and design of the works of Eliel Saarinen, I. M. Pei and Richard Meier. The tour begins in the Art Center lobby, 4700 Grand Avenue. Parking is available on the east and west sides of the facility.
May 3, 2016 - GIVE LOCAL DES MOINES
Give Local Des Moines is a big, bold opportunity to help change our community. We will bring together local nonprofits and hundreds (if not thousands) of donors from every neighborhood in our community together for the largest crowdfunding day to celebrate the local organizations doing the critical work of keeping our communities vital and strong.
What is it? Give Local Des Moines is a part of the largest giving day in history. On May 3, 2016, we are joining more than 100 communities across the country to raise millions of dollars for our individual communities.
We’re partnering with The Community Foundation of Greater Des Moines, area nonprofits, businesses and community members to raise funding for the organizations that work tirelessly and selflessly in our community to address local needs.
Saturday, May 14th,2016 at 10AM
St. John's Lutheran Church built in 1935. 6th & Watson Power, Jr. Way. Come hear about the 150-year history of the church.
St. John's Lutheran Church in DM is celebrating 150 years since it began just after the end of the Civil War. The first church edifice was built in 1869 and the second building was used from 1892 to 1935 when it was razed and a new building was constructed on the same site. Some very well known pastors and congregants have served at SJLC of DM. Come to see historical photos and learn the stories of this prominent church on the downtown skyline.
Please join us as Deb and Jim Blume tell us about the people, the dates and the events that have played an important role in helping St. John’s arrive at this distinguished anniversary.
Park in the north lot or on the street & enter the SW (accessible) door. There are elevators available. This event is open to everyone.
Come for the tour and stay for our Quarterly meeting immediately after the tour.
Rees Gabriel House 1701 Pennsylvania - Saturday May 21, 2016, 10:00 am
MEMBERS ONLY - This beautiful house was built in 1896 in the Queen Anne style. It has four rooms plus the kitchen on the first floor. The second floor has a center hall and five bedrooms. The attic space with vaulted ceiling is one large room.
All original woodwork, transom windows, stained glass windows, carved staircase, wrap around porch, fireplace, turret, and many ornate porches. The flooring is oak and walls have been plastered. It is mostly restored both inside and out.
The house is known as the Rees Gabriel Mansion - this home was built by Rees Gabriel - whose remaining daughter lived in the home up until 1982. He owned 37 lumberyards around the state and spared no expense or design in building this stately old home. This house is on the National Register of Historic Places.
House and Garden Tour - 1429 9th Home - Sunday, May 29th, 2016 at 1:30 pm.
MEMBERS ONLY - Built in 1896 by John A. Lawless, an Irish immigrant who came to Iowa via New York with his wife Mary and their two daughters. This Victorian home is in Historic River Bend.
The house has been on a long journey in restoring it to its original grandeur. The woodwork is original with the only painted trim in the kitchen. It has over 3, 900 sq. ft. The main level entry has a fireplace and view to 2nd story with stain glass windows.
Hardwood floors flow through the office area, front parlor, living room with a second fireplace, and a huge dining room. Four bedrooms are featured on the second floor. The third floor is finished. This house is on the National Register of Historical Places.
This special tour was scheduled to see the additional garden in bloom
Saturday, July 9th from 9:30-10:30 Iowa Capitol Tour exclusively for Des Moines Historical Society (Dues Paying Members Only & Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org)
Monday, July 11th @ 9:00am - Des Moines Street Car Friends (Breakfest Program @ the Machine Shed)
The Machine Shed - 11151 Hickman Road, Urbandale
Topic- Douglas Trolley Line
Saturday, July 16 @ 1:00pm - Tour of the Chamberlain Mansion(Public Welcome)
3520 Grand Ave on Wesley Acres Campus - Des Moines Historical Society quarterly meeting will start immediately after the tour at 2:00pm.
Saturday, July 16 @ 2:00 pm, DES MOINES HISTORY PRESENTATION - North Side Library - From its early start as a fort at the confluence of the Des Moines and Raccoon River, to its early days as a coal mining town, Des Moines has a captivating history.
DRAGOONS in IOWA
August 25th, 2016, Thursday at 7pm - Plymouth Place 4111 Ingersoll Ave (Members Only)
You have seen those signs around town, the ones with a Dragoon on it. Those marked with Dragoon Trail or Alternate Dragoon Trail. Have you ever wondered what a Dragoon is? Have you wondered what was the Dragoon Trail and questioned its significance? Thursday, August 25th, at 7:00 pm in the great room at Plymouth Place, Mike Vogt of the Gold Star museum will do a presentation on the history of the Dragoons and the Dragoon Trail and the Des Moines connection. This informational meeting is open to the general public. The address is 4111 Ingersoll Avenue in Des Moines.
We hope you will be able to attend this informational meeting.
Des Moines Concours d' Elegance
September 10-11th, downtown at Pappajohn Park
The Des Moines Concours d’Elegance™ is a premier automotive exhibition held at the internationally recognized John and Mary Pappajohn Sculpture Park Sunday, September 11, 2016 in downtown Des Moines. The Concours will present an invitation-only exhibition of more than 100 vintage and classic motor vehicles, selected to celebrate the fine art, design evolution and amazing innovations of motor vehicles through the years, as well as the talented designers and engineers who created them.
History of Norman Vorse - Des Moines Architect
September 25th, Sunday at 1pm - 420 51st Street (Members Only)
A very special South of Grand MEMBERS ONLY TOUR will be held at 1:00 p.m., Sunday September 25 at 420 51st Steet in Des Moines. Maria Parrelli will offer a presentation on the architectural style of this south of Grand home designed by Norman Vorse. Built in 1924 Norman Vorse was very active in residential and commercial projects and added an artistic flare and many unique features to his designs. Norman Vorse also designed the Hoyt Sherman Auditorium and many of the old theaters around Des Moines. There is a surprise feature added to the home for those who make it all the way to the attic on this tour. See our website for a list of a few of the properties that Norman Vorse designed. This is a members only tour. Not a Member? You may join on-line at our website (www.DesMoinesHistoricalSociety.org) or you can join at the door.
If you are planning on attending, or are interested in coming but need to check your schedule, we have a request. So that we may better know the amount of people attending this tour, please go to our Facebook Page. There you will find this event listed. Let us know your intension. Although it is not a R.S.V.P. event, it will help us better accommodate those who plan to attend. THANK YOU!
Waveland Golf Course History
October 8th, 10am presentation - 4908 University Ave., 11am Quarterly Meeting
Learn about the history of the Waveland Golf Course from Steve Nelson-Vaux, volunteer historian with the Parks and Recreation Board. Earl Short, Des Moines streetcar historian, will tell us about the bus turn around adjacent to the Golf Course.
The History of Kurtz Hardware Company - Nov. 5th, 2016 from 1-2 pm at Iowa Genealogical Society - 628 E. Grand -
The Des Moines Historical Society is hosting a presentation on the history of the Kurtz Hardware Company. We will be in the Meeting Room at the Iowa Genealogical Society. The President of the company, Bob Kurtz, will offer a history of the family and the business. This is a members only event. You may join on-line beforehand or at the door the day of the event.
History of Highland Park - Wednesday, December 14th, 6:00 pm
North Side D.M. Public Library, 3516 Fifth Avenue (on the south side of Euclid Avenue). Lisa Elim will present the history of Highland Park. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC